Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Going to school, before it starts...

It is amazing to me how much learning takes place outside of the traditional classroom. As I think back over this past year, I realize that I am not the same person I was in many ways, and I am so completely thrilled by that fact. Sure to look at me and hang out with me if you've known me for any length of time, you might not think there was any great change, but I know it's there. They always say that it's what on the inside that counts and I truly believe that. The journey that God has so graciously brought me on this year has taught me so much about the inside. He has taught me about grace, healing, submission, totally depravity, hope, mercy and love. Though the road has been a tough one, I can say that I wouldn't go back, and I wouldn't have changed things either. He has so graciously kept me in the palm of his hand that I know I have never been close to peril. Every trial, any amount of suffering that I endured was all used by his skillful hand to prune of the dead layers of my soul and spirit to give me a life more abundant. Pruning is something that the world of gardeners understands as necessary for healthy growth to take place, and I understand that truth as being so important for our lives. The dead growth around us can suffocate us if we are not pruned and cut back to let the light of Christ's amazing love shine through into our inner most being. It is truly amazing grace. The character of John Newton in the movie "Amazing Grace" says, "Though my memory is fading, two things I remember quite clearly, I am a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior." How true those words ring out to me. When my memory fades, if I remember nothing else, I hope that it is that. I pray for each and everyone of you that you know and understand that precious gift. If not, know that it is something so willingly given to those whose hearts seek after it.

No comments: