Thursday, February 14, 2008

3 Months to the day...

Oh how time has flown in the 3 months since I last wrote. It seems incredible to think that 3 months ago I came to the decision not to take the job offer in Germany and to stay in Anderson for another year. I had begun to think of Anderson as my home and invisioned my self here for quite some time. Oh how the time has flown by...

As I sit here now, I find myself at the beginning of another journey. One that seems a bit more real, and definetly more practical than Germany did. After Christmas vacation, upon my return to Anderson University, I found myself questioning how long my sorjurn in Anderson would be. I knew that I wanted to continue my education, but knew the online route was NOT an option (I finished one semester at Regent and withdrew as I HATED the format with a passion.)

I seriously contemplated returning to California for a time. Then, though I'm sure he was unaware of it, a good friend talked me out of it as he described what he loved about LA. It made me remember how much I did not enjoy all of those things. I contemplated staying here and attending Clemson University. I would still be able to retain my job, while studying in a classroom with real live human beings. But the more I thought and prayed about it, the more I felt that option A and option B weren't for me.

So I took a drive, as I often do when I want to clear my head. It was on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, just what the doctor ordered. I asked God if there could be a plan C. If there was, what would it look like it? And by what I feel could only truly be divine inspiration, the name of Geneva College popped into my head.

I headed home and spent the next two hours researching Genvea on line. I had heard of the school while I was still in my undergrad so the name was familiar, however, I really never thought twice about it. As I purused the website, I was very impressed by their mission and doctrinal statement. Their idea of higher education and what it should look like are right in step with what I believe in. It is also a Reformed school, which I took to be a sign, though I don't put much stock in those...

I followed this search with a long conversation on the phone with my mom who encouraged me to pursue a degree from Geneva. So after much prayer and deliberation, I applied. The school has a rolling admissions process, so as soon as all of the pieces are in, I will know whether or not I am accepted. I am in prayer for that process almost daily.

The biggest part of this decision came with the fact that I will have to move to Beaver Falls, PA. to attend Geneva. Moving. Again. Not a thought I relished at the time. My move here was less than smooth and the thought of moving again terrified me. I would also be leaving a place that truly feels like home. This is the first place I have lived as an adult post undergrad. This is my first job. I have a church community that I love, and friends who I feel are irreplacable. Why would I want to give all of that up for the unknown?

The only reason I can come up with? Because He wants me to, and when I'm honest about it, it's what I want too. I long to go back to school. I also want the chance to gain experience in something other than ResLife. There are oppurtunities for assitanships at Geneva that would help pay for tution and give me a monthly stipend while providing practical education.

Deep down inside, my heart also craves adventure. The kind I haven't allowed myself to think about in the last year, as the prospect was too unsettling. I just wanted to be safe. Now I don't nessicarly want to throw caution to the wind, but I definetly want the wind to ruffle my hair abit! I want to push myself. I don't want to allow myself to be comfortable. I want to learn to truly trust in God and the providence He has in my life. I want to fully rely on Him, not myself and the comfort I am in now.

I am so excited about the prospect. For the very few people who even look at this I ask that you would join me in prayer for this decision. It would mean alot to me. Also please let me know how I can be praying for you.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

1 comment:

Krystle said...

yay yay yay for you. I'm so glad things are coming together. Amazing what God brings to our lives isn't it? Thanks for the update roommie :)